Excursion destinations in the Salzburg Region
A great variety of exciting and unique locations in the region await you!
In addition to hiking, cycling and the many leisure time activities available, the Grossarl valley has much more to offer. The many excursion destinations in the area assure that your summer holidays will be anything but boring!
A few particularly interesting destinations in the region:
- Ice Caves in Werfen: Witness the unique natural wonder made of rock and ice! Visit the largest ice cave in the world! This amazing sight is not far from our hotel.
- Großglockner High Alpine Road: The journey to the top is as rewarding as the peak itself. Discover and experience the most spectacular alpine road in Austria. Breathtaking natural settings as well as flowering meadows, masses of rock and ice and mountain forests await you.
- Krimmler Waterfalls:Austria's only natural monument with the "European Diploma". This waterfall with a total drop of 300m is a must-see location. It is the fifth highest waterfall in the world - exceeding both the Niagara and Victoria Falls.
- Dam Power Plant in Kaprun: This power plant is an exciting excursion destination that promises its' visitors breathtaking views. The Kapruner High Mountain Reservoirs are also worth a visit. The fresh air, green pastures, turquoise water and the surrounding glaciers of the Hohe Tauern are very impressive.
- Mozart City of Salzburg: A city full of culture, great sights and a one-of-a-kind feel. Even those familiar with the city are sure to discover something new. The Haus of Nature, Hellbrunn Zoo, Hohensalzburg Fortress, Mozart's birth house and the Mirabell Palace and garden are just a few of the sights in this wonderful city.
- Liechtenstein Gorge: Here in the heart of the Salzburg region, you can see not only one of the most beautiful but also one of the deepest and longest gorges in the Alps. The powerful sound of the waterfall and the moss covered stones add to the magnificent atmostphere!
- Hohenwerfen Fortress: Those seeking adventure and culture have come to the right place! The 900 year old fortress offers a wide variety of sights and entertainment.
- Hüttschlager Valley End: Located in the Hohe Tauern Nation Park, this area not only offers great hiking trails but also unique fishing opportunities. Sport and recreational anglers are sure to get their money's worth!
- Salt Mine in Hallein: Located just to the south of Salzburg, this picturesque town is home to one of the oldest show mines in the world. Dürrnberg is also home to the reason behind Salzburg's historic wealth - Experience the exciting story of the 'white gold' in person!
- Health Resort town Badgastein: The charming, green and spacious Gastein Valley is certainly worth a visit. A hidden gem is embedded within this fabled valley: the health resort built into the rocky hillside. There are beautiful hiking paths surrounding the area and the Felsentherme Badgastein is a real hit for the family on those rainy summer days.
- National Park Center in Mittersill: The newly-built National Park Visitors Center has much to offer to guests of all ages. The enchanting scenery of the park, including the unique flora and fauna as well as the myths and fairy tales of the area are brought to light. It's a must see!
Those are only a few of the great excursion destinations in the area. Many other smaller and lesser-known highlights await you. We would be happy to give you a few insider tips and advice. Make a non-binding inquiry at Hotel Rattersberghof today!